CHristian Service program
Service Requirements at Creighton Prep (effective for class of 2018)
Prep’s mission is to form young men of faith, scholarship, leadership, and service in the Jesuit and Catholic tradition. Prep students (beginning with the class of 2018) are required to complete a minimum of 50 hours of service during their tenure at Prep. All service hours that Prep students complete must involve direct contact with people who are materially poor or marginalized in our society.
Freshman Year – Required
Freshmen are required to complete three hours of service with Prep Big Brothers in the fall semester. The senior big brothers will provide transportation from Prep to the service site on the required service day for freshmen.
Sophomore Year - Required
Sophomores complete seven hours of service through the Faces of Christ Retreat. Students spend a day making and distributing sack lunches to the materially poor in Omaha in conjunction with the Open Door Mission. Participants are accompanied by a Prep faculty or staff member and are transported in a school van and an Open Door Mission van.
Junior Year – Required (one of two options)
Juniors are required to take Catholic Social Teaching OR Catholic Social Teaching Plus, both of which have a service-learning component.
- Catholic Social Teaching Plus is a two-block course that has a 40 hour service component that is completed during the school hours. Students who take CST Plus fulfill their service requirement through this course. Students are required to provide their own transportation to and from their service site.
- Catholic Social Teaching is a one-block course that has a 20 hour service component that is completed outside of school hours. Students are required to provide their own transportation to and from their service site.
Senior Year – Required or Optional
Seniors who have not already fulfilled their 50 hour service requirement have several service opportunities available to them to fulfill their requirement.
- Seniors can take a service-learning elective course, such as the Arrupe Experience (30 hours of service) or the International Conflict and Refugees Course (15 hours of service) to help them meet their service requirement.
- Seniors who choose not to take a service-learning elective can work with Prep’s Service Coordinator to complete their required hours of service outside of school through one of Prep’s service clubs, a service trip, the Summer Streets of Omaha Project, or by continuing to serve at their CST site.
Other Service Opportunities
Students can contact Prep’s Service Coordinator to participate in any of the following service activities.
- Participating in Operation Others, which is a program that provides food assistance to families at Christmas.
- Serving the evening meal at the Siena/Francis House homeless shelter.
- Tutoring at Jesuit Academy or Hillside Elementary.
- Helping to build a home for people in need by joining Prep’s Habitat for Humanity Club.
- Participating in a service trip to the Dominican Republic, Mexico, or the Rosebud Reservation.
- Participating in the Summer Streets of Omaha Project at the Open Door Mission. This is the same project that students participate in on the sophomore Faces of Christ Retreat.